FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Former PM Abe Assassinated
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:07 pm
ainternational

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mjm

A few years ago at the Women In Business Summit in Tokyo hosted in association with the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan, the speaker, I believe it was then U.S. Ambassador Caroline Kennedy, finished her remarks and the attendees in the large hall were asked to remain seated and not leave the room. We all looked at one another with curious eyes not knowing why this request had been made. The doors were all shut and security personnel appeared quietly at each entrance. The lights dimmed and then, to the surprise of all, out came the next, and unscheduled, speaker, Prime Minster Shinzo Abe. He was impressive, engaging, warm, and most of all he made it clear that he was truly an ally of women in business. He impressed me mightily that day and on several occasions afterwards as well. Today I stand with my friends and colleagues here in Japan in sadness at the horrible loss. Such a tragedy. May his leadership long be remembered.
Your post brought a tear to my eye, old friend. Very very sad news. I hope we figure out the motive, but I am guessing it was just another mentally unstable person like many/most of the random more mass killings in the US.

I feel like Abe was overall well liked in Japan. Folks told me he was Japan’s version of Obama from a voter popularity perspective but I don’t understand Japanese politics enough to know if that makes sense or not.

This will change Japan forever for certain, since it’s so unprecedented. Mental health in Japan (and every country especially the US) really needs to be better managed in general. We have some crazy goddam people doing insane stuff and I feel like we need to be better at recognizing troubled individuals before things like this happen. Granted sometimes you can’t because they hide it so well but sheesh, these young male US shooters in hindsight now we know often basically said what they were going to do online or to others beforehand and nobody thought to be worried. That’s what I’m talking about. Of course in Japan it’s less likely anyone would say anything. But still, we as a society in general across the globe need to do better. Do more.

Such a tragedy.

Thanks for your thoughtful post mjm.