FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should We Assume The end of PQP Bonuses, Plus Point and Status Extensions?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:54 pm
UA_Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by mduell
The "TPAC 1Ks" are still relatively missing... I wonder if UA will do anything targeted there. Pre-COVID UA had a very strong position in China and other TPAC markets, with a lot of loyal 1Ks.
I think it has to be very specific. My travel to Australia and Singapore are back to pre-Covid level.

Japan should be back to normal by end of year, but HKG has lost its financial hub status and business attractiveness to ever get back to the old days. UA had written down route rights and investments in HK prior to Covid, so it is not like Covid was the primary reason for lack of demand in/out of HKG.
Regarding China, how long can UA keep extending China based 1Ks and elite members' status? Getting in and out of China is still a huge challenge with getting the right visa, pre and post arrival testing and quarantines. Then, there are geopolitical issues that may impact business travel demands.

Perhpas not a blanket extension of elite status, but I can see route specific promotion for double PQP, PQD or fast track elite earning promotion. If UA is generous, perhaps just downgrade status to one level below.