FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transiting Narita standby with checked baggage
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:11 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
But Sir, AA can't check bags to NRT unless you are eligible to enter JPN; that is why I see a risk that either AA will refuse to tags to NRT only or even refuse to bring you to NRT because you don't have a (confirmed) onward flight.

But anyway I'm just guessing; not first hand experience with standby tickets and how they are dealt with. Good luck!

Do let us know how you solved this/how is plays out at NRT.
Even with only carry on items, I would expect an airline to refuse to board a passenger who doesn't have documents to enter the destination on the ticket (if separate tickets) of the destination airport of the last confirmed segment.

Unless the standby for the flight from NRT clears before boarding ends for the flight to NRT, I don't think this will work, even with no checked bags.

Before COVID-19, could someone fly standby without travel documents sufficient to enter the country of each connection airport? For instance, could a USA citizen without a Russian visa fly standby on a route with a connection at SVO?