FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Problems Accessing FlyerTalk When Using A VPN" thread
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:22 am
tangfish

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Cloudflare is involved in much of the internet. However, in my experience, only FlyerTalk and Ticketmaster don’t like VPNs at such an extreme level.

Ticketmaster does this for many reasons including they want to unmask visitors as much as possible to retarget ads to them.

FlyerTalk doesn’t have good (or presumably nefarious enough) reasons to be anywhere near so heavy handed on blocking the majority of VPNs. Plenty of websites including some of the most visited and targeted in the world both use Cloudflare and protect themselves against DDoS attacks just fine, while also allowing generally the use of VPNs.

When it comes to striking a reasonable balance between protecting against malicious bots and DDoS attacks - yet letting your users access the service without too cumbersome an amount of hassle - where there’s a will there’s a way. I hope the powers that be around here find the will to do something about the current state of the imbalance.

I miss being able to visit but the hurdle is now such that it’s a rare thing for me to switch to a specific server just to do so, and so my FlyerTalk experience has become just skimming the topic titles via email notifications consumed as digests. But there’s no participation, community or ad revenue in that….