FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:12 am
JoeDTW

Originally Posted by jlemon
We already know that Boston was the easternmost destination ever served by North Central as later in the summer of 1979 the airline acquired and merged with Southern thus becoming Republic....and this development eventually marked the end of an era specifically with regard to Herman the Duck when RC finally got around to unveiling a completely new livery some years later....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Repu...-9-31/710227/L

So here we go with a classic milk run....

2. Boston - Detroit - Lansing - Grand Rapids - Green Bay - Escanaba - Marquette. Although not requested in this quiz item, I'll also guess the equipment was a DC-9-30.

BTW, back during the fall of 1971, I did some hitch hiking all around Michigan including up in the UP all the way to Sault Ste. Marie and beyond into Canada. One of the things I noticed was the fact that North Central was all over the place in Michigan - I think NC served just about every city both large and small in the state.
Correct, although the equipment was actually a -50.

Here's the itinerary for NC 597:

Lv BOS 1630, Ar DTW 1822 (Dinner)
Lv DTW 1855, Ar LAN 1923
Lv LAN 1939, Ar GRR 1959
Lv GRR 2014, Ar GRB 1959
Lv GRB 2015, Ar ESC 2141
Lv ESC 2150, Ar MQT 2210

The short segment time between GRR and GRB, and the long segment time between GRB and ESC, are because GRR and ESC are in the Eastern time zone, but GRB is in the central time zone.