FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did GC holders used to be able to cancel avios bookings for free?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:50 pm
PGberkshire

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
To one extent or another, I'm sure.

Due to the difficulty of achieving Gold in the past (as outlined above, YBH in Economy only etc etc), my impression is that there is still an awe factor around "Gold Card Holders" delivered in training to the crew. I remember when an ex of mine went from easyJet to Mixed Fleet. The way he spoke about GCH was with a particular reverence as though they were these amazing godlike passengers who could do no wrong, which would have only have been instilled in him during the training.

(as an aside, he took great delight in telling everyone his boyfriend was a GCH which made me cringe, especially because at the time it was a gold card... with Qantas (the equivalent of BA Silver). He never did let facts stand in the way of trying to make himself look important, but he was young!)

As I've said before, I get treated nicer as Gold compared to when I'm Silver and I'm sure it comes from what Gold actually was historically to certain extent.
Agree, there is a sort of mythical reverence for Gold - which seems legacy, especially in the age of 75% requirements and double TP holidays.

It really means you get 3 things, the F wing, time in gods waiting room (GF) and row 1 or exit seats.