FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why don't late flights, once en route, get prioritized in the air and at the airport
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:29 am
Herb687
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mtofell
Great... now when I fly to/from OGG I'm going to worry the control guy is busy hassling/fighting with pilots rather than paying attention to my plane
I'd be a lot more worried going into NY Tracon airspace. There was an audio clip posted of an N90 controller who took up tons of radio time repeatedly berating a B6 pilot and threatening a 360 for resequencing for not being at the speed the controller would have liked (apparently prior sector never issued a restriction noted as "expect" on the STAR).

If an procedure tells me to expect a fix at a speed and/or altitude but ATC doesn't actually assign that restriction, there is no requirement to comply with it.

Rather than just assigning a speed as the pilot asked several times, the controller spent tons of time cluttering up the frequency with his one-way pissing match. The best part of that being that the controller harped on and on about his need to move traffic efficiently. Well, you know what's not efficient? Chewing out a pilot on the air when a simple "Maintain 220 knots." would have been sufficient.

That's a crazy story! But not hard to believe given the way people are. Aren't communications and decisions/actions by controllors public (or reviewable, etc.)? Seems like control guy is risking a lot by being a PITA just to be a PITA.
Originally Posted by KTME Tower
LEAVE MY AIRSPACE!