FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Delta able to refuse a disabled passenger?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:44 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xooz
Interesting... never paid attention to DOT regs...
  • .... rule applies to all flights of U.S. airlines, and to flights to or from the United States by foreign airlines
  • Airlines may not require advance notice that a person with a disability is traveling.
  • Airlines are required to provide assis.tance with boarding, deplaning and making connections. Assistance within the cabin is also required, but not extensive personal services.
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...s-disabilities
This is only partially correct. There are certain accommodations that must be requested in advance.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
If someone requires two people to get in and off an airplane that is not safe. Therefore, denial of flying is allowed. Someone that disabled needs to take other forms of transportation that won’t put 170 other people at risk.
What? Ever seen an aisle wheelchwheelchair point is to bring passengers that can't walk to seat onboard. It is required by law. How do you think paralyzed passengers board?

Originally Posted by lindros2
Not pointed out is whether he required a seatbelt extender and/or two seats.
Why is this relevant?

If not informed in advance, it gives the airline (carrier) leeway on accommodations and (not technically denying) boarding.

There are other passengers. As stated millions of times, the number one objective of airlines is safety.

(also note my son is disabled; we’ve never used ACAA/ADA - specifically Section 504 code - but came close once)
Totally incorrect. Needing a belt extender does not give any grounds to deny passenger. Only thing it prevents, sitting in emergency exit row.

Originally Posted by Centurion
I have seen American leave a pax in a wheelchair when the last SAN>PHX flight was cancelled and no hotels were available because of Comic Con convention. This happened pre pandemic.
Very illegal. In fact leaving passenger unattended for more than i believe 30 minutes (not sure if 30 or 15) is illegal.