FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:37 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goatee87
Hi folks - I am a 1k based in SFO. My wife and I are planning to travel to India in peak December travel season. If I purchase premium economy tickets and apply plus points for business upgrade, I assume I am ahead of everyone on the priority list except GS?
Or other 1Ks on a higher fare class within PE, or any anyone on a GS instrument. The GS member doesn't have to be traveling.

Any thoughts on clearing that upgrade?
Well, the good news is that the flights are probably empty at the moment, because UA is trying hard not to sell any seats. The bad news is that if they don't get canceled, "peak travel season" and "SFO" are not a good combination for upgrades. Also, India has traditionally been a difficult upgrade on UA.

I am also debating between the direct flights from SFO or transiting through EWR, IAH or ORD. I prefer the direct flights, but would choose the indirect routing if upgrade chances are better.
UA doesn't operate any services from IAH to India. There's a decent chance you'll be flying through EWR or ORD anyway, because I don't know that the SFO flights will resume. And I would't like my chances much better for either of those, anyway. Maybe if you fly midweek...

I'd say, if you buy PE, expect to fly PE. Then, any upgrade would be a pleasant surprise.