FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Place Montréal Downtown - MASTER REVIEW THREAD
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:52 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Grand Opening Day Hyatt Place Montreal 06/14/22 Their first guest!

Hyatt Place Montreal sent out a message prior to incoming guests that nobody would be allowed to check in prior to 3 PM opening day.
My driver pulled up to the property just before 3 PM after passing right by it originally.
Initially I was told that it would be another half an hour to an hour before they had computers running and to go hang out @ Starbucks around the corner.
They were quite insistent we didn't stand by the door so off I went to Starbucks also owned by the group that bought the property
accompanied by the head of security a very nice fellow.Starbucks I later found it is connected directly to the hotel
Under an hour I was checking in and elevators weren't working so the front office took me up in old run down beat up service elevator
packed with housekeepers,mops buckets & linens.The hotel is easily 50 to 75 years old and they performed a miracle updating it! Original service elevator
Was assigned a high floor view room.The view was excellent and the windows quite dirty.All first day guests received a mini bottle of champagne
The neighborhood is a lively slightly dodgy area with quite a bit of homeless,transients with a mix of Greenwich Village NY
meets Hillcrest San Diego vibe with a somewhat rougher edge IMO.Much nightlife and restaurants in the general area
Hyatt Place Montreal is a real asset to the neighborhood and could help turn it around if the right premium merchants sign leases
over time Hyatt Centric should be a one up when it opens

I felt ok during daytime walking around a bit.That said there were also some mentally unstable individuals floating around.
Covid has exasperated the problem as it has in many cities
I'd suggest especially women not to be wandering around at night alone but others disagreed with me I spoke with
Coming from the neighborhood of where I stayed previously at The Ritz Carlton and the grand opening
of the Vogue Hilton a Curio hotel it was a downgrade despite the interesting diversity that may appeal to some more than others
(Vogue is also owned by the HP Montreal owners investment group
Sound proofing in the room wasn't great and there was an outdoor festival across the street that was quite lively and noisy but quieted down by midnight
People seeking the deep inner city vibe should love it.

The Good
A welcoming warm and friendly outgoing team that meant well some experienced some still learning on the job
Solid newer very modern Hyatt Place new generation rooms
Some of the nicest public areas (Mezzanine) of any Hyatt Place I've seen worldwide other than lobby that was just OK
The best variety of food ever seen at any Hyatt Place in an attractive setting.The brand is clearly heading in the right direction and this may easily be HP greatest dining to date
but still not there yet.Grapes were unwashed and kind of sticky.Orange slices out of season tasteless granola.Even Quaker Oats has good packaged granola
Tell me how do you eat a hard boiled egg in a shell without running water? Whats the trick?Scrambled eggs were edible just ok blah
( I could eat it ok but still didn't like it) Coming from the breakfast at the Ritz Carlton I was ruined as it was fantastic 5 star standards like a good Park Hyatt
In this forum I've met some folks that love Hyatt Place breakfast they will be in heaven as its vastly superior to anything Hyatt Place/Hyatt House
in North America with a real kitchen and cook.The highlight were the professional kind experienced servers in the dining room willing to assist with anything you may need
That's a first at any Hyatt Place ever and I hope that lasts
The hotel will be opening some premium large suites in the near future (sadly not standard suites though)
A pool I didn't tour it
A Fitness center

The Bad
The hardest bed I have ever tried to sleep on in any Hyatt ever.Think rocks and cement (subjective some love super firm)
Cheap scratchy linens(perhaps they will soften after some laundering) Slept at Hyatt Place Austin airport just fine recently BTW
Coming from other luxury hotels steeped in high end linens and comfort didn't help matters any so I slept on the couch(should have opened the sofa bed)
finally at 4 AM after counting sheep for hours
Isolated issue on my room/floor I had no electricity in most of the room as circuit breakers were blowing day and night
and finally approaching midnight I switched rooms with no working tv bed lights fridge etc
I had an unwelcome visitor insect floating around the bathroom but it was limited to my first room and as long as it wasn't a bed bug
I could live with my new roommate

Would I go back?
Possibly but if I did I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred US and though they are commanding 15k in points I personally don't see it worth that
The old Intercontinental was less in points for an old 4 star.Most hotels were starting to get a premium in a sold out city as the Grand Prix
was only a day away and the reason hotels rushed to open their doors ready or not.
Being the hotel was priced at 4 star pricing 300 plus dollars for limited service I would rather stay at a full 4 Star
I would also need a foam topper but many others prob couldn't care less.
The hotel is recommended and as far as some of the negatives it really depends on the guest and time should smooth out the opening bumps in the road

I will try and download some photos shortly

Lobby Entrance

Front desk

Bedroom

Living Room

Bathroom Vanity Bathrooms seem a bit tight in width but still nice

Shower

Shower stall

Massive bottle of champagne

Coffee anyone?

Fridge

Hallway

View from bedroom managed to shoot around the dirt best I could

Pantry

Easy on the ice cream all but at least charged to the room you can earn WOH points

ooops duplicate couldn't delete

Surprised to see a chipped mirror in a brand new room!

Darn clean them windows folks!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 22, 2022 at 11:37 pm