FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Suite Night Awards - SNA - questions and discussion thread
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:23 pm
LovetoTravel83

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
Suite Night Awards seemed like a nice addition to Marriott's loyalty program in 2018, especially for vacation travel. I had good success with SNAs in Spain in 2019.

SNAs should provide a reason to strive for 50 nights and then 75 nights each year, even for someone like me with Lifetime Titanium Elite status.

However, there's one thing seriously broken with SNAs — they expire through no fault of the elite member.

SNAs are unpredictable. That's understandable. It wouldn't be so bad if SNAs did not expire. It would tell myself, "Oh well, I can try again and again until I'm eventually successful."

Instead, when an SNA fails to clear and then expires, Marriott Bonvoy is essentially telling elite members, "Ha, ha. You thought we were rewarding your loyalty with something of real value. Not only are we failing to upgrade you — again — we're now taking away your SNAs. Sucker!"

On 22-night UK trip last month, I had hoped to use most of the 17 SNAs in my account. I was able to use three SNAs. At two hotels (2 nights at a Marriott and 1 night at a Tribute Portfolio), the SNA process upgraded us from a queen bed room to a king bed room, but not to a suite (but that was better than nothing). I now have 4 SNAs expiring at the end of this month and 10 SNAs expiring at the end of the year.

Marriott Bonvoy could fix this in several ways. The most obvious way is to change the program so that SNAs never expire. Another way, would be for them to take a long time to expire, such as 5 years. A third way would be that if an SNA fails to clear, it would automatically be extended by at least 12 months.

In case someone at Marriott reads this, please give us reasons to love Marriott Bonvoy, not reasons to to be angry at Marriott Bonvoy. (The former seems like much business.)
I am an Accor Diamond member and recently used 7 of their version of SNA's for an upcoming trip. What they do is that they have to book the highest catagory room to book the suite for you. And yes, that would be confirmed during the booking process even of its months out.