FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:03 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW

1. The easternmost city on North Central's route system is served with three nonstops from Detroit, and one one stop. What's the easternmost city, and where does the one stop stop?

5. It's possible to fly from the southernmost city on NC's system to the westernmost city in one very long day of travel. You'll take three flights. The first and second flights are nonstops, and the third flight makes one stop. What's your route of travel.
Excellent questions! As I mentioned not too long ago, I recently read a book entitled "Ceiling Unlimited" by Robert J. Serling which concerns the history of North Central from its founding as Wisconsin Central in 1948 up until the early 1970's. NC was a well run airline under the leadership of CEO Hal Carr. I highly recommend this book if you can find it (I purchased my copy used).

1. I believe the easternmost city was Boston and the one stop flight between Detroit and Boston stopped in Syracuse.

5. This would be a long day of air travel. I think the southernmost city was Miami with nonstop service to Milwaukee. The next flight would be a nonstop from Milwaukee to Minneapolis/St. Paul. And the third flight would be from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Tucson via a stop in Denver. BTW, back in 1979 I was on board a Continental B727-200 on a milk run service from Austin to Los Angeles with stops in Midland/Odessa, El Paso and Tucson (I think this flight had originated in Miami and then made a stop at Houston Intercontinental before arriving into AUS). As we taxied out from the terminal at Tucson departing for LAX, there was another airplane landing in front of us which appeared to have a waterfowl painted on the tail. It was a North Central DC-9-50 and the waterfowl was, of course, Herman the Duck.

And do you remember the large, colorful poster that Detroit's rock n' roll radio station, WRIF-FM, produced back in the early 1970's? I think I've still got mine somewhere in storage.