FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet strategy shift [was B787 Order Cancellation]
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerJ

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Error 601
I understand that perspective, but I'm not convinced that is the wrong strategy from a pure survival perspective

The death rattle of Canadian Airlines was an aggressive expansion into Asia, a partnership with American/OneWorld and an emphasis on business class if I recall correctly - all ultimately felled by the Asian financial crisis.

I don't think it is the right time for WestJet to do any of those things. It might be unambitious but it also doesn't put the airline in existential danger.
Maybe so.

But my frustration with this about-face is from my point of view as a customer … not as an industry observer or investor or employee.

Westjet works for me now. I like it. And I was thrilled about the direction they were going - ie the Delta partnership. They seemed to be getting close, and having a YYC-based airline with lots of nonstop routes and a solid U.S. partner — exactly what I need.

Admittedly, that’s all pretty selfish. I’m just one customer. But the “new” 2023 version of WestJet that was announced last week - based on the pretty clear language that AVH used - will be of little use to me.

(Realistically, I suppose I’d be in the same spot if they were to continue on their current course and failed. Either way, I’d be left without “my” WestJet.)

I wish them well, but “Air Transat West” or “Eurowings Canada” or “TUI Alberta” or whatever the future vision is really won’t be of any use to me. As a WestJet customer today, that’s disappointing.