FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:00 pm
squirk

Paid One upgrade from Comfort+ - a good deal?

I’m Platinum (was so close to Diamond before COVID hit), but my travel is almost exclusively domestic, and usually for work. So, while I’m not a newbie per se, international travel is not my area of expertise, nor is buying upgrades to FC/One.

I am traveling from the U.S. to Norway next winter with my son, using miles, and we have Comfort+ on the long 7.5-hour leg between DTW and AMS. It’s my first international trip in a very long time, and my son’s first int’l trip ever, so I was thinking about upgrading to One for just that leg of the trip. I know he’d dig it.

My understanding is that, as a Platinum traveling on miles, and with no GUC, my chances of getting complimentary upgrades to One on an int’l flight are pretty much zero (save for an exception granted by a generous Delta agent).

Assuming that is accurate (and please correct me if it’s not), Delta is offering me paid One upgrades @$900 per passenger for the DTW-AMS leg. I have absolutely no frame of reference to know if that is a comparatively good deal.

So I have two questions:

1.) Is $900 a below-average or above-average price for that upgrade?

2.) Do these upgrade prices ever go down - i.e., is it possible the upgrade price could be adjusted downward if the One cabin doesn’t start to fill up over time?

Ultimately, I guess I am trying to decide if I should buy these upgrades now, or hold tight and take a wait-and-see approach to see if I can nab them cheaper.

Any guidance you can share would be much appreciated. Please and thank you!

Last edited by squirk; Jun 19, 2022 at 9:15 pm