FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by azepine00
I see plenty of availability on xanterra now - i guess ppl started cancelling in droves.. it may end up being a good time to go with some minor adjustments for potential limitations as long as you dont need to be up north..
As I learned in 2020, it pays to rush in to the tourist destinations where others fear to tread. You can find places to stay and cars to rent, often very cheaply. February in New Zealand after the Chinese travel shutdown, September in Yellowstone (including nonstop UA to JAC for 12.5k miles), and December in Hawaii ($230 Hyatt and $175/week car).

However in this case you have many people who planned trips and are reluctant to cancel. Furthermore, supply is constrained due to the loss of the north entrance. You will get in from the south or west, but not at a bargain price. The bargain, if you can call it that, may be RV rentals. Driving an RV is less attractive at $6 every 8 miles.