FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:41 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hoth300
I'm looking at a round trip IAD-NYC. I am going to fly the outbound but may need to cancel the return. If I do cancel the return after I've flown the outbound, will I keep the remaining value of the NYC-IAD flight in the form of a future flight credit? This is main cabin, not BE.
This is a yes BUT

Yes, you will get credit for the return flight but the credit will vary once you try to use it. It varies because it is still connected to the outbound and that may influence the precising of the new segment(s). This is less complicate for a domestic trip but it still is difficult to predict. Additionally, the time frame is one year of the purchase of the original trip, not one year from FFC date.

Highly suggest purchasing two one-ways, much cleaner and should not cost any more. A minor issue with two one ways is if the first segments gets a waiver, it would not apply to the separate return. Generally that would not be a major issue for me, I generally only book domestic one-ways nowadays.