FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: At 61K SQM - strategy for 2022 and 2023?
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:44 pm
frogoutofwater

At 61K SQM - strategy for 2022 and 2023?

Due to a difficult family situation (illnesses and then a death in the family), I've been flying YYZ-YVR-YYZ frequently since late 2021. Combine that with the 2022 Get Closer to Status promo, and I've now reached a little over 61K SQM and 19.7K SQD. The pace of travel will slow down for the rest of the year, although I have one trip booked for next week (redemption with a priority reward and confirmed upgrade in one direction, J flight using Coast-to-Coast pass in the other) and another return trip booked in PE for early August. I'll probably make at least 2, maybe 3 more, return trips before the end of 2022.

I also have the Amex Aeroplan Reserve card (and a supplementary card for Mr frogoutofwater). My Aeroplan points balance is relatively low (about 280K) and I'm a long way from reaching MM status.

Our travel plans for 2023 and 2024 likely will involve: 1) 4-5 trips for me to Vancouver; 2) a few trips to NYC (for work and leisure); and 3) possibly some European travel in late 2023 or in 2024. I usually fly in PE on the trips to the West Coast (or trans-Atlantic trips), but fly in Y for shorter trips.

75K is within reach in 2022, but it's highly unlikely that I'd reach 75K in 2023 and 50K will be a bit of a stretch. So I'm wondering what my strategy should be for the remainder of 2022, after I complete the August trip:

1) Use Aeroplan points (and Priority Rewards) for any remaining trips to YVR, stay below 75K and select lower requalification threshold (45K) for a 2023 benefit? (I have 3 Eco rewards and will earn 1 PE reward in the next few months.)
2) Aim for 75K in 2022 (easy to achieve if I book with $ in the remainder of the year)? Am I correct in thinking that Air Canada doesn't have a "soft landing" concept?