FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:52 pm
SusanTodd

This was a first for me -- last week, my husband and I traveled from CDG to ROC via IAD. We only had carry-on bags. We went through customs in IAD and continued through security with our carry-ons.

Our flight to ROC was on an Embraer EMB-145XR. We boarded through one of those satellite gate areas where 5-6 regional flights are parked on the tarmac. Our bags were "gate-checked" which meant we wheeled them out to the base of the stairs to the plane and put them on the metal baggage holder. Both of our suitcases were next to each other on the baggage holder and there were many other bags on the same holder.

We arrived in ROC and were told that all bags (checked and gate-checked) would be delivered to the Baggage Claim carousel. Bags arrived promptly and my suitcase was the 3rd or 4th one that came down the ramp. We waited and waited and ultimately realized that our 2nd bag was not coming. We were the only ones on the flight who "lost" a bag. We filed a claim with a United Baggage Claim employee (who was pulled off the tarmac to assist) and received a File Reference Number before we left the airport.

To date, the only time the bag has been scanned in the last 3 days was at 5:05 PM at Dulles (which is approximately the time we boarded our final flight). Every day, at the exact same time as when I initially filed the lost baggage report, I receive a text from United saying they are working to try and locate our lost baggage. I've been told by the United Baggage Resolution Center representative that I need to wait 5 days and then I can file a lost luggage claim.

Has anyone ever had this happen with a gate-checked bag? It seems completely bizarre to me that one bag made it on the flight but the other didn't. I am trying not to be negative, but I suspect the bag may have been stolen. Hopefully not.

In any case, if I'm reading this correctly, I am subject to the Warsaw Convention rules since the final leg of the flight was part of an international journey, but can someone confirm that I am limited to that coverage?

And, does anyone have experience with how long United takes to settle a claim for lost baggage? Unfortunately, the bag had a large number of clothes and shoes, including items purchases on our trip and I believe we will be very close to the maximum allowed.

Thanks!