FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:47 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
This was really helpful! Thanks Adam. Thought the redeye widebody was temporary as I've never seen that one before but have seen the widebody run during the morning/day before for YYC-YUL
YYC is extra busy in early July due to Stampede, so it's not unusual to see some extra capacity. For instance, YYC has 1 redeye to YYZ most of the year, 2 through most of the summer, but I think some past summers have had 3 around Stampede (and sometimes around Christmas).
​​​​​​
Have you looked at the YYZ schedule around then? It's possible that this isn't all incremental demand from/to YUL, but that AC is directing traffic through YUL rather than YYZ. That could either be part of the effort over recent years to beef up YUL as a hub or because of the cluster that is YYZ in 2022. If you're coming from, say, YYG or YHZ or BOS, YYZ vs YUL, not a big difference in travel time or anything.

If YYC-YYZ only has 1 redeye around that time, I'd say that's a pretty likely case of AC shifting traffic. If YYZ has 3, definitely incremental capacity. If YYZ is at 2, less clear either way