FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:14 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
3. (1986) Nairobi is a huge city but unfortunately there is a real dearth of good German restaurants in the CBD. Thankfully your next project has you working in Frankfurt, so you can practically taste that delicious German spaetzle accompanying your freshly grilled brat as you ponder your upcoming travel options. There are many, available on many airlines, but the most affordable one appears to be with an airline that operates all Y configured equipment and offers a single online connection featuring two nonstop flights - one aboard a jet and one aboard a turboprop. It is the only airline offering service between NBO and FRA that meets these parameters. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types
I think that most of the intercontinental carriers out of Nairobi would serve Frankfurt from their own base with jets, so my guess is that the turboprop is on the first stage of the trip. I wonder about Uganda Airlines then, with an F.27 on Nairobi to Entebbe, then a 707 running Entebbe-Frankfurt-London.

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Unfortunately, I never flew the F.27, the F-27, the FH-227, or the F.50. Mesaba flew F-27s for a few years, and I've always regretted not flying one when I had a chance.
I went in a few. My only F.27 trip was on an obscure carrier called Euroceltic, which was just running from Waterford in Ireland to London Luton; Waterford's only scheduled service, and the aircraft wasn't doing anything else apart from a twice-weekdays round trip. On reflection, it was my last trip of a long line by Dart turboprop power as well. Two aged around 65 pilots, both with four captain's rings, ran it, and looked like they would have a lifetime of experience and stories to tell. Shortly afterwards they got a government-subsidy contract to run Dublin to Sligo, in far north-west Ireland, and not long after starting the F.27 we went on (they only ever had two) overran the Sligo runway and ended its days, fortunately at slow speed, running over the weeds, then rocks, and dipped its nose in the Atlantic Ocean

Picture EuroCeltic Airways Fokker F-27-500F Friendship G-ECAT (planepictures.net)

The airframe of the F.27 was of course by Fokker, in The Netherlands, but the aircraft had probably 50% British content. Rolls-Royce Dart engines, of course; Dowty (from Gloucester) propellers; cabin windows same as the Viscount; most of the instruments etc.

The F.50 successor used to operate a lot of flights out of London City with carrier VLM, and I used them quite a few times. The engines were new but inside the cabin it had an old familiarity. The Fokker always seemed a bit dark and shadowy inside, from the high wing, something a bit absent from the Dash 8.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 11, 2022 at 9:31 am