FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:36 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
My kid sister is moving to Montreal from Calgary this summer and I'm looking at flights for her... I noticed that there is AC326 YYC-YUL in July which is a 77L. It's completely empty for most the flights in Y/J as it leaves at at 0125. It's the cheapest option as well lol.

Is this a positioning flight? Anyone know the YYC-YUL route well that knows if this is just temporary? I don't see it in August/Sept/Oct, just July for a few weeks. With loads so low I'm confused. I've seen the 787's occasionally for on the YYC-YUL but almost always a narrowbody. Never seen a 77L on this route.
What part do you think is temporary, the redeye or the widebody?

YYC-YUL capacity always fluctuates dramatically with the seasons. In the long ago, winter would be 2-3 daily, mostly E90/319, and summer would typically be 4x daily narrowbodies, more 319/320/321, including a redeye.

They started running widebodies in 2019 when the MAX grounding forced them to consolidate the number of flights, and we saw 333s and rouge 763s.

Last year, the summer had a daytime widebody (depart YUL early morning, depart YYC midday), and the usual narrowbody redeye.

So far this summer, there has been a widebody almost every day, same pattern as last year. Mix of 789, 333, and 77L. I flew the 77L YUL-YYC a month ago.

It's somewhat different to have a widebody redeye, but if it's only for a few weeks, not shocking that there might be demand for it.