FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JT Genter has a disappointing Delta economy trip LAX-JFK
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerJT

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hey all! JT here. I was doing some Googling and stumbled across this thread. So, I figured I'd drop in to say hi!

Originally Posted by scubadu
I guess I'm confused why you are confused? JT Genter is basically an independent contractor and writes for several different organizations. He also does independent writing for Forbes and Scott's Flights.
So, I took JT's posting as a thank you to Nerdwallet for bringing him on for additional contract work during a challenging time. As an independent contractor though, that doesn't automatically mean he must stop writing for the other outlets that he has been writing for previously.

Not everyone is a dedicated fulltime/W2/salaried employee tied to one organization to make a living anymore...
100% correct. I'm a freelance writer for NerdWallet, Forbes Advisor, CNBC Select, Scott's Cheap Flights -- and a freelance editor and writer for AwardWallet.

I'm definitely enjoying the hustle of working for a bunch of different publications and the variety of work that I can do in this arrangement. Plus, no one publication has been able to offer a high enough salary to cover what I'm making from freelancing (which, by the way, is more than I was making at TPG).

Always happy to answer questions or receive any feedback about my work. I'm happy to be an open book about everything I'm legally allowed to share. My roots are right here in FlyerTalk as an aspiring traveler that wanted to learn how to maximize everything so I could travel as much as possible. In 2015, TPG gave me a shot to write for them - which put me on the path to where I am today. I understand how some can see working for them as selling out. But, that gave me the opportunity to leave the tax accounting field and travel full-time. And it's allowed me to be in the place I am today.