FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:38 pm
cfischer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by golferjoe
UA very helpful. Had BKK>ATL in saver business with stops booked on EVA in mid-August. EVA canceled on BKK>TPE and TPE>IAH and did not offer any alternatives. I have no status and haven't flown on UA since COVID started.

If a transpac cancels, here is what I did. YMMV.:
1. Find places that UA flies from on the approximate date you want to travel. You will have to pay positioning out of pocket.
2. Make sure you can transit. Sometimes the airport website is less than helpful. For example, on the NRT airport website, it looks like baggage can be claimed, then rechecked on UA. Not true. You must fly a StarAlliance carrier, check your baggage through and you can't spend the night before the UA flight airside.
3. Once you settle on the airport, list your desired flights. It will do no good to just tell the agent, "Now what do I do?"
4, Call and get an international agent and give him the flight information and tell him that you will get yourself to the UA flight origin and your understanding is that UA takes some responsibility for canceled partner flights and will help re-booking into the same class.

Result: Booked in JN on UA2 SIN>SFO then JN again SFO>ATL. Pretty happy.
Glad you got an agent willing to change the origin in such a situation. The other thing you can do is look for BKK --> anywhere UA flies and look for partner award space. E.g. BKK-FRA and then UA can open up FRA-XXX-ATL. There tends to be space out of BKK towards Europe a lot more than to the East