FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FT mobile showing posts I've already seen ("last read" marker not being updated)
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:16 am
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
FT mobile showing posts I've already seen ("last read" marker not being updated)

Some previous discussion is embedded in the infinite scroll thread:

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

but IMO this issue warrants its own thread, and I didn't manage to locate one on a quick search, so starting a new one...

Originally Posted by alex67500
Hi,
Posts aren't being marked as read again when using chrome mobile. They're fine on the 'current' page, but any subsequent pages being loaded by infinite scrolling, posts aren't being marked as read as I browse them. When I return to my subscriptions, they're still marked as not read, and if I click on first unread it will take me to the start of a page I've already read.
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I could not replicate this. Are you using Desktop View? Was working perfectly in Mobile Skin.
Originally Posted by Zorak
It's not. This still happens to me with some frequency on mobile skin, when there is more than one page of new messages. (I'm not sure if it happens *every* time that's the case, but it definitely still happens.)
(further previous discussion available at the above link)

Although the problem has always been somewhat variable in nature (and I recognize that makes it hard to troubleshoot), it has been noticeably worse (for me anyway) in the last 5-7 days, happening a *lot*, and in some cases requiring opening the same thread 3-4 times to properly set the last-read marker, even though I am infinite-scrolling to the very end of the page, waiting a number of seconds (just in case the "update-last-read-marker" operation is one of the last things the forum code does), etc.