FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:25 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Datapoint: Airfare Decrease After Purchase

Recently bought a UA ticket online 2 weeks in advance using combination of TB (TravelBank) funds and credit card. Few days prior to departure noticed the airfare for the exact same flight had decreased significantly. Called UA to ask about changing the airfare, thinking (irrationally ) that a simple credit for the difference, as most simple, might be possible. After “heck no”, was told the only option was to cancel the ticket, would immediately receive a FFC (Future Flight Credit) for the full amount (TB + CC) paid and then rebook but the system would recognize the cancellation and not allow me to rebook the same flight at the lower fare.

Being a bit of a gambler and a skeptic of the typical representative’s accuracy, I immediately cancelled the ticket online. FFC for the full amount appeared in my account within a few minutes. I immediately rebooked the same flight (and selected the exact same seat) at the lower fare using the FFC resulting in a remaining FFC in the amount of the difference.

The difference was close to the TB balance I had initially used. The TB balance had an expiration date a month later, the FTC expiration date is in 18 months. In addition to saving a few $$, I effectively extended the amount of time to use a UA credit by almost 18 months.

This experience contrasts with 2-3 months ago cancelling within 24 hours a ticket purchased with TB + CC and having to wait 3-4 days for the TB refund to post to the TB and a week for the CC refund to post.
Nothing here is inconsistent with the way the 'system' works, except for perhaps the speed of the TB refund, which some people have reported taking weeks (this is why I try not to use TB funds for anything I might possibly refund within 24 hours, because I don't want to deal with that mess).

Asking an agent to 'change' to a lower fare on the same flight within 30 days will usually result in either an outright no or an offer for a $50 fee to re-issue at the lower fare, and an ETC (I think) for the difference. The system will not let you change easily to just the lower fare on the same flight...it will say 'unavailable'. The only ways to do it are the way you have done it (cancel, get FFC, then use that to purchase the flight at the lower fare) or as just mentioned, change to a different flight, then change back.

As for the cancel within 24 hours, yes, refunding the fare within 24 hours is different than canceling a non-refundable fare after that time. Not sure how it works these days, but within 24 hours, you used to be able to choose when canceling if you wanted the refund to original form of payment or to keep as an FFC...I'm not sure if it just defaults to refund now. After 24 hour, unless IRROPS, you just get an FFC.