FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on waiting for Polaris upgrades to London for a GS
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:38 am
ani90

Programs: *
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo

One thing I do love about most non-US airlines- the J/F cabins are almost never jam packed with "upgraded" pax. People who paid for the cabin are the occupants.
Upgraded passengers also pay for their J seats either directly or indirectly. It would be shortsighted, I think, to look at the mode of payment, upgrade status, or fare class for the J seat as reflective of cost or value from either passenger or airline perspective.

Originally Posted by simonmason
I buy enough Polaris tickets each year. Just want to use up some of my miles.
Indeed as OP states they buy Polaris tickets multiple times a year and that is their 'payment' (as are the miles they are using up); and from a business perspective he is likely more valuable and has 'paid' more for the seat than the occasional J flyer who 'paid' in cash. There is a reason why high status elites are ranked above paid J flyers by many airlines.

Should note also that part of the reason why non- US J cabins are not packed with upgraded passengers is a relative paucity of high level elites and (?blindly) loyal customers. I have been surprised to get operational upgrades on Star Alliance carriers a few times just for being Star Gold and wondered how come the Star airline did not have elites of their own to upgrade. I suspect it would be rare, if not unknown, for a non-UA elite to get an operational upgrade on United.
​​​​