FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:15 am
seigex

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by loganre17
Thanks for this thread. Lifesaver. I'm mulling over the possibility of NRT - ICN on Ethiopian after arriving at 3PM on AC's nonstop ex-YVR. It's about a five hour layover.

I understand transiting on separate tickets are fine.

I'm still worried about explaining this to AC's agents in YVR as it is their prerogative to let me on or not. Are there any official documents/anything I could show the agent that proves I can indeed transit on two tickets?
Seperate tickets are fine and AC shouldn't have any issue as long as you show them an onward ticket. the YVR-NRT flight comes in to Terminal 1S, the Ethiopian flight leaves at 9pm from the same terminal. Both are star alliance so you should be able to check in for both at YVR, and they should be OK checking your baggage through, but I would check with A/C ticket agents at some point before to verify. If they won't check your bags through, then you have to enter Japan to recheck your bags which isn't allowed currently. So once you get the bags thing figured out (or if you're carryon only) then you should be good to go.