FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need assistance with Star Alliance strategy please
Old May 31, 2022, 2:30 am
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by alimaj
Forgive me i have some questions:

​​​​​​Im.not sure which airlines
NH ( But i don't have flights to Asia)
A3 ( is this Avianca?)
SK ( No guess)
I am going to try to find the answers on the threads somewhere.

Also. I will look up what i need for Copa. I have a few flights coming up that i think will get me a start on the qualification
They are just the IATA airline codes, which is what most Flyertalkers use as shorthand. Can always Google IATA code SK, for example if you run across others in the future you don't know. There are 2 types of codes, IATA which are the 2 letter codes used on Flyertalk and many booking sites, and ICAO codes which are less common but are seen on some sites like FlightRadar24. Airports also have IATA and ICAO codes, IATA are the 3 letter ones you're used to seeing on luggage tags, ICAO airport codes are 4 letters, sometimes similar to the IATA code, sometimes not. They are used in operations, like Pilots and ATC, and basically aren't used by most normal people / bloggers unless you hang out on Airliners.net forums.

NH = ANA
A3 = Aegean
SK = Scandinavian (SAS)

Some have an obvious association to the airline's commercial name, some don't. Don't dare mistake AC for Air China for example, LOL, that would be CA and AC belongs to Air Canada.

Originally Posted by alimaj
Some additional questions:
  • Do any of these airlines offer a status match?
  • If I focus on Copa how do I take advantage of the Star Alliance status from my ANA account?
In general you can't status match within an alliance, but what did you use to status match to NH? That is likely a fair play into another Star Alliance program. There's a website https://www.statusmatcher.com/airlines that is decent at giving you an idea if a match may be granted or not. I'm not aware of any matches by SK at the moment but you never know, their qualification from zero though isn't too bad. CM might match LA (LATAM) if you have status with them.

Another one you can try if you have a OneWorld or Skyteam status is Turkish. They have a challenge program so if you fly TK to Egypt then you can meet the challenge easily. TK is also a decent program to maintain status on since they use a 2 year qualification period and the mileage requirement isn't terribly onerous. But as usual they won't match from other *A programs (anymore).

Lastly to use your NH status flying on CM, if you want to accumulate CM miles, you'll have to show your card for luggage allowance, lounge access, etc. Usually in *A they aren't too strict about this, but many OneWorld airlines try to force you to credit mileage to the account you're using for status. It is a lot harder though to get seating benefits if they exist (usually in *A there is no 'better' seating benefit if your status is on a partner airline).