FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance Vendome Paris [Master Thread]
Old May 29, 2022, 5:53 pm
UASPG

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
This was my first stay at this property, as the Westin, where I stayed earlier for one week, then left France for a day, was sold out for the nights following my return.

I stayed for years at the Westin Vendome, got a very nice suite facing the Tuileries on the 4th floor upgrade, although 5 of the nights were booked on points. That hotel earned my loyalty a long time ago by treating me very well with those suites with an incredible view.

I definitely knew that I would not get a view at the Renaissance, but, with a the SNAs that I had applied to my reservation and a discussion to the Front Desk Manager (the is no Front Office Manager and no Director of Rooms at this property, the last one being understandable in view of the size of the hotel). Two days prior to my arrival, there was still no reply on my SNA's request, which was very unusual. The FDM said that she would contact Marriott and one the next day, I received an email stating that my SNA request had been denied.

When I checked in in the evening, the Duty Manager, who tried to be helpful, told me that there was no suite or larger room available. He said that that there no message from his FDM, who had told me that she would try to find something for me, even if the SNAs were declined. He looked embarrassed but was not available to give me something better than a room that was 2 SQM larger than the one I booked. He told me that he would try to find something better for the following nights (I never heard from them again about this).
My reservation and my profile indicated a "High Floor" request, but I was assigned this small room on the 3rd floor / 2eme etage just above the entrance of the hotel, so I had the noise of the car doors closing when cars were dropping off or picking up guests at night time). My 3-night reservation was at an average of 650 euros per night (certainly the worst deal that I have got in my long guest "career".

On the next morning, on my way to breakfast, I saw the FDM who asked me how I was doing (no mention of the upgrade that did not happened). I told her that the only room of that size that I ever stayed at, in a hotel, was in Narita, where ANA booked me after a flight delay that made me miss my connection).
Having stayed at Starwood, then Marriott properties over 1,500 nights (with well over 1,400 in suites, following upgrades) since the programs started, I have seen (and talked many times to management people) about the training and way to handle customers, but did not recognize anything that this FDM told me that was fitting the Marriott's way. It was more like "If you want a suite or a large room, I would advise you to book what you prefer". She tried to educate me about small hotels (when I recently had nice suite upgrades at the Edition Barcelona, city that she is very familiar with, or the JW Marriott Bosphorus in Istanbul, both small hotels).

Apparently, this person (or the hotel) is not big on "Elite" recognition, as she did not bother to make any effort to offer me anything to somehow keep me at a certain level of happiness, which is what I have always experienced with Starwood or Marriott (but also with Hilton & IHG). No "Is there anything else that I could do to make your stay more comfortable?" at this property.

Breakfast is at the hotel only restaurant. It is small and set up a little bit like The Pain Quotidien, with some large tables which can be shared. It is trying to have a very casual, home style, but that can be awkward.
On the first morning, when I got in, there was a guy standing next to a pole, making the pathway even more difficult, but I thought that he was a guest. It turned out that he was part of the staff, that did not bother to make things easier for the guests. This long curly hair guy had a shirt open almost up to his belly button - definitely another F&B standard. No exchange with him.
On the 2nd morning, it took him forever to bring me an espresso coffee. Just the order, followed by a thank you exchange with him.
On the 3rd morning, I was with my 84-year-old mother (with some asthma issue) and I was trying not to sit right next to other people, to make her feel more comfortable. A young trainee, that I had not seen during the previous mornings, was first insisting that we sat next to a couple when there were several larger tables available, but then let us seat at the table I was preferring. Problem easily resolved, but that previous mornings guy shows up and asked if there was an issue. I started to tell him that it was taken care of, when he interrupted me with "First of all, you are going to change your tone!" and he was not talking about the tone level of my voice.
Totally inappropriate (not to say "weird") attitude, to end up saying that we could sit wherever we wanted, contradicting his trainee. Hard to believe that this guy was given some kind of manager or supervisor position.
My mother, being upset with the rudeness of this guy, asked me if we could leave, so this is what we did, without having had breakfast.

The Renaissance was my plan B, in case the Westin was sold to become a luxury hotel. It is no longer my plan and needless to say that I will not return to this property. I'll probably switch to an IHG hotel in case the Westin is sold out.

Too many tiny rooms in that hotel located in a narrow street (as shown on a picture of the previous post) with a narrow-minded management which does not seem to understand the importance of loyalty (on both ends).
I also noticed an unequal cleaning service and burned my arm on the towel heater that had been set up at the maximum temperature before I checked in - beware of that heater in the small bathroom, if you stay there).
At the end, the responsibility falls with the GM.

I assumed the fact that I am spoiled, but it is only because Starwood, then Marriott have been spoiling me for a long time and I have been trying to be very loyal to them in return (will return to the Ambassador level this year, after a 2-year interruption).

To end on a good note, most of the staff is pleasant, even in the restaurant (in the afternoon, you will see the restaurant staff occupying the adjacent sidewalk during their break, forcing people, some with luggage, to move on the street.

Note: this post is way too long!

Last edited by UASPG; Jul 12, 2022 at 2:25 pm