FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 'random questions about Japan' thread
Old May 24, 2022, 2:30 pm
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by evergrn
Is there a Japanese singer worse than this guy?
(click on 'watch on youtube')

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xuMhh_DTk
Yutaka Mizutani is going strong with his current TV drama Aibou (相棒), which just finished Season 20. He is going to be 70 this July, talking about the longevity of his career! I do think he became famous in the '70s TV drama Kizudarake no tenshi (傷だらけの天使). His character was a social outcast. Criminals and yakuza (Japanese mafia) were nothing unusual in Japanese movies and TV, but his character in Kizudarake no tenshi was not criminal or yakuza. His character in that TV drama simply did not fit into society. I think social outcasts who are not criminal or yakuza was something new in Japanese TV drama back then.

Yutaka Mizutani had another TV drama hit in the '70s playing a detective and I think that song is from that TV drama. I think it was a standard formula back then, have a hit TV drama and actors/actresses release a record just because they were popular, nothing to do with singing skill. Not that the Japanese entertainment business today has evolved from that...

Talk about Japanese singer worse than Yutaka Mizutani, how about Kumiko Ooba?