FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting first class rewards flights (I'm failing)
Old May 23, 2022, 9:30 am
JulianFP

Programs: BA, Emirates
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Phoning won't help.

Try looking for flights from AMS. Availability tends to be better from there than the UK, and it's only a short hop over. However, the Cape Town flights may be your problem. I think it's still one flight per day, on a B777, so very few F seats even for sale.
Thanks so much. I think you could be right. Funnily enough I was looking at the Emirates site last night and got to a page about its partnership with SAA where it said 3 flights daily between Cape Town and Dubai. That's obviously a page they forgot to update and presumably gives an idea of what capacity was in the good old days. I'm not sure if pre-pandemic any of those 3 flights were operated by SAA directly, I suspect not or if yes then surely only 1 of the 3, so that puts Emirates at at least one-half if not one-third of its pre-pandemic capacity to CPT. Ouch!

That would also explain the crazy-high prices for paid tickets I suspect. For many months now I have been seeing prices between 50% and 80% higher than what I was paying pre-pandemic.