FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
Old May 17, 2022, 8:43 am
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
So, a few months ago I nabbed ORD-DOH-MLE award tickets for early July. Kicking myself now because I didn't book a return at the time. I was waiting to see if Tanzania would change post arrival testing requirements and add a week on there, or if that didn't work out, setting up DOH - wherever was available in Europe, spending a few days, and flying back to the states from there.

I wasn't overly worried, even knowing QR usually blocks North American travel in J after a certain point, because in years past DOH - Europe routes have mostly stayed open. Last night I literally tried probably 60% of all DOH onward (QR operated) destinations, and all of them are blocked in J the entire summer. ~ July 7th - Sept 7th. It doesn't seem worth slogging through the rest - what I found so far seems consistent and systemic.

Anyway - my own stupid fault trying to juggle too many scenarios and waiting too long.

But all this makes me curious how the Award tickets work with partners -- has QR pulled all the J award inventory from AA, or is AA limiting the partner offerings on these routes? Perhaps trying to force customers into spending more for awards on their new DOH-JFK routes (or whatever reasons)?
No and no. There's a lot of pent-up demand for travel, so it's not a surprise there's no more awards available close-in. That's the only "systemic" part here.