FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues
Old May 17, 2022, 12:22 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
If the international portions are complete and the only leg remaining on a RT ticket is a purely domestic portion where there has been a rechecking of bags, why should that pax be treated any different than the one who bought a purely domestic ticket with the same city pairs?
Because the responsibility for the baggage is tied to the journey, not to any individual flight segment (or operating carrier)

For me, the rechecking of bags is what changes the analysis.
Whether you recheck the bags is immaterial. Including that sort of trivia in the law would just serve to create grey areas and loopholes.

Is anyone aware if anyone has legally tested whether my interpretation (in a vacuum) is correct?
Feel free to spend a quarter of a million in legal fees to try to get an extra $2K in compensation.

I just read the Montreal Convention in full. I'm not convinced (that UA has the correct conclusion)...
There's absolutely no doubt about it. I also checked before I posted.

Now, the DOT could conceivably require that US carriers meet the US liability limits to the extent that they're greater than the Montreal Convention limits. They could not require that international carriers comply, of course. The DOT does not do this, presumably because US carriers have lobbied against it in the name of a level playing field.

The treaty is written the way that it is in order to be unambiguous. They didn't want weird corner cases -- for example, they wanted to make sure that a bag lost on a flight to the US is covered no matter if it's covered at the origin, at a connecting point, or at the destination. To try to apply the rule your way would be to invite endless fighting over where an incident occurred. You're focused on inbound travel, but what if you'd flown from Shanghai to Beijing to the US? Would you want to argue with United about whether the bag was lost in Shanghai, in Beijing by Air China, or in Beijing by UA? Why should it matter?

It's not working out in your favor this time, but there's really no question about the rule. Sorry; I hope UA finds your stuff.