FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help Please. SAA claims they cannot accept USA Credit Cards
Old May 13, 2022, 6:23 am
jsnydcsa

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
Is this specific to US cards, or all foreign cards? I won’t go near SAA, but I’ve been buying Airlink tickets using a variety of foreign cards (Mauritius, UK, US, UAE, Singapore) and have never had a problem booking, or been asked to provide more information. I bought a ticket with them using a UAE card two weeks ago.

I’ll be buying another soon, and will try a US card to see.
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
I wouldn't be surprised if SAA and Airlink aren't accepting US cards b/c when SAA or Airlink go bankrupt or shut down again, the US card companies will have no compunction about reversing charges back to the carrier.
It was total speculation on my part. I've long ago learnt that trying to figure out SA logic (and I say that as the happily-married spouse of a wonderful SAFA) much-less SAA logic, reasoning, etc. is impossible.

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
And, FWIW, I'd say about one out of seven transactions I run from the USA using a US based card via an SA-based merchant (travel, retail, etc.) ends up with your described shenanigans. It just will not work despite everyone here and there saying it "should" - sometimes I just try again the next day, or use a different card, or a different browser or use a computer based browser v. a phone/tablet. Or sit a little differently in my chair. TIA. It's a good thing your not going to SA back during the old "gas card" days.
Its more likely this and OP is, unfortunately, now heading down an SAA created rabbit hole by thinking too much.