FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strategy behind wildly different soft product at domestic UCs?
Old May 12, 2022, 12:15 pm
EWR764

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
Having visited the SFO E United Club last evening, I would have to concur with the second comment.

It may also be worth keeping in mind the downward progression of the Polaris product, where the soft product was initially intended to match the hard product. We know how that turned out.
Cost cutting is irresistible to airline managers, this we know. The SFO E club is (to me) the most disappointing new lounge United has opened and totally emblematic of the company under Smisek. Way undersized, generic, no amenites to speak of... completely unimpressive for a club at a flagship hub. Even LAX was watered down from its original concept to cut costs. On the other hand, Delta (also AA but to a lesser extent) tend to make their new-build hub lounges splashy, attractive showpieces to create a halo effect for the brand. United missed that message but we can only hope that the new lounges in the pipeline reflect more consideration of a premium experience.

The other thing (which is relevant to Polaris) is presentation. At LGA, UA serves breakfast sandwiches in chafing trays, unwrapped, on ceramic plates with metal cutlery. It's still a Jimmy Dean sandwich (I've seen the packaging) but even that can take on a much more premium look/feel with the right setting. Cf. Polaris, with the ugly dog bowls that, in my view, make anything you put in them look unappetizing and sloppy.

United needs to pay some more attention to these details.