FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old May 11, 2022, 9:18 pm
hailstorm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alan11
This is a false belief.

Vaccines are distributed by local govs in Japan, and my wife and I could not get vaccinated until late October last year since we were under 60 and that was just the schedule for our city. Some people I know had to wait till late November.

We finally got the application for our boosters in the mail in mid-April (no online reservations here). The 3 days they offered for getting shots in May weren't possible for us (though this is assuming all the slots in May weren't already full), so we had to ask for the next dates, and therefore we won't be able to get boosted until mid-June. I already know of one neighbor who won't be able to get his until July since he sent it in later than us and the date he requested for June was full.

So please, do not claim that people aren't boosted only due to opting out of it. Many many people in smaller cities and towns have literally been not allowed to get them yet. The national government already announced months ago that the booster program is to run until mid/late July.
Thank you for the singular data point, but the big picture doesn't bear this out:

The vast majority of people who got vaccinated did so before November, and the number of people getting their third shot has already plateaued.