FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old May 11, 2022, 8:21 pm
sameruval

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
If it provides some empathy to the hotel, staff , and other customers then it is certainly not useless. And why if you actually found you had a fever ??
I can see how it shows respect and courtesy for the rules your host puts out to follow them- which is why I would comply- but I don’t buy that it shows empathy.

From an actual diagnostic perspective there are many issues. Does the equipment work? Infrared gun thermometers are usually junk. Are the operators trained properly? If it’s honor system, are people actually doing it? Not to mention a fever in and of itself is neither sensitive nor specific enough on its own to rule in or out COVID. People without a fever may be infectious. People with one may not have COVID.

I’m a bit of curmudgeon when it comes to things like this as it distracts from things that actually work such as policies that promote indoor usage of good quality masks, ventilation, and vaccination.