FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC
Old May 11, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlY2XS

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by canopus27
This is exactly what's grinding me. I did a TON of flying in April & May (flights almost every weekend and one TATL still to come) ... and I did that flying to take advantage of the double SQD promo. Which I appreciate ... but now it appears that instead I could have spent the exact same money buying next-year tickets ... and the points would count for this year (thus extending my status through 2023), but the SQD would count for next year (when I flew, and helping me earn 2024 status).

Personally I like the idea of making this promotion into a "banked year of current status", which you don't need to "consume" if you have already qualified for the status by normal means (meaning that for me and others actually flying, I would get a banked year of super elite out of the promotion). That doesn't address cow's concern about the MLL capacity issues, but would at least recognize the value of the ACTUAL flying that was already done.

At the very very least, AC should introduce something to the effect of an SQD rollover - recognizing those who really are flying this year.
This was the thing that surprised me most regarding the various promotions over the past couple of years. I would have thought that a banked year even as an option instead of all of the other offerings would have actually promoted travel even given the constraints and rewarded those who fought through them. It would only have rewarded a small number of members, but they would have been the most dedicated to the brand. AKA showing the greatest commitment to a loyalty program.
EDIT: At the same time not diluting the benefits they actively earned.

Last edited by FlY2XS; May 11, 2022 at 8:03 pm