FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan Status Extension 2023 through Co-Branded CC
Old May 11, 2022, 4:37 pm
canopus27

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
I don't need any SQD for 2022, but I am likely going to start 2023 with over 100K SQM and 0 SQD. It will make for an interesting year if I have to fly to get over the 20K SQD without worrying about SQM. A few very expensive tickets...
This is exactly what's grinding me. I did a TON of flying in April & May (flights almost every weekend and one TATL still to come) ... and I did that flying to take advantage of the double SQD promo. Which I appreciate ... but now it appears that instead I could have spent the exact same money buying next-year tickets ... and the points would count for this year (thus extending my status through 2023), but the SQD would count for next year (when I flew, and helping me earn 2024 status).

Personally I like the idea of making this promotion into a "banked year of current status", which you don't need to "consume" if you have already qualified for the status by normal means (meaning that for me and others actually flying, I would get a banked year of super elite out of the promotion). That doesn't address cow's concern about the MLL capacity issues, but would at least recognize the value of the ACTUAL flying that was already done.

At the very very least, AC should introduce something to the effect of an SQD rollover - recognizing those who really are flying this year.