FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denied Boarding b/c of Computer Problem -- Compensation
Old May 9, 2022, 1:50 pm
jordyn

Originally Posted by js1993
Right, I "discovered" something I pointed out at the start.
Nope. The fact you think those two statements are equivalent demonstrates, once again, a fundamental misunderstanding of very basic microeconomic theory. Like the first two weeks of Econ 101 level of basic. If airlines could just increase their prices whenever they had increases in costs, you'd see airlines consistently able to pass on the costs of increased fuel costs to customers, when in reality high fuel costs tend to shrink profit margins and generally take several quarters to show up at all since passenger demand is much more elastic than supply over the short term.

Why would I want to pay an extra $6/flight for insurance that I get from multiple credit cards? If people want insurance, they can buy insurance.
Well:

1) Your math on EU->USD isn't very good (hint: current EUR:USD exchange rate is 1.06, not 1.5); I also think it's also per ticket, not per flight.
2) Please tell me which of your credit cards provides denied boarding compensation. I've never heard of such a thing.
3) Outsourcing this to third party insurance also removes incentive on behalf of the airline to avoid the problem in the future, which is what most of us really want.