FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)
Old May 9, 2022, 8:33 am
WannabePBA

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by rdunlap1125
I'll echo the concern about the arrival loss -- minor for "quick stop to use a bathroom when convenient", bigger for "taking a little bit to wake up after a redeye before driving to home/office". That's been talked to death, though I'll add that one problem here may be that, while Delta has plenty of data on entrances, they may not have similar data on exits (though a camera in the right place and some image recognition technology might have already closed that gap.)

There's a more interesting use case on the departure side which no one has yet brought up, and the club personnel aren't quite sure about yet either. Yesterday, my wife and I had a 6 PM flight out of O'Hare, but we were finished with our event of the day earlier than expected, so we headed to the airport a little after noon to get on the standby list for a 3:30 PM flight (successfully, as it turned out). While checking in at the club desk at around 12:30 PM after clearing security, I asked what the policy was going to be after June 1 in this case -- my boarding pass was for a departure outside the three hour window, but I was on the standby list for a flight within the three hour window. The agent thought that was a great question and didn't know the answer; since there was no line of people trying to get in waiting behind me, the multiple agents up front chatted amongst themselves and concluded that Delta *should* be letting me in, since I was trying to get out on a flight in three hours, and we agreed that this was the type of situation where a potentially extended stay in a Sky Club was quite reasonable -- in fact, the policy should be designed to allow for precisely this type of circumstance. Has anyone seen an officially stated policy on this?

If anyone's curious, the club was not particularly crowded on this day. The agents stated (without prompting from me) that something needed to be done about crowding, but that this wasn't the right solution... they in particular offered up how folks were just going to book refundable tickets to get into the club and then cancel them. (!)
The FAQs state you can enter 3 hours prior to your standby flight but that you must “intend” to board the flight if cleared. In other words, they don’t want you standing by for an earlier flight just to circumvent the 3 hour rule.