FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens
Old May 9, 2022, 6:26 am
Xyzzy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Countrygirl
And how will that new Schengen visa that cones into effect in 2023 apply to duals—we won’t have to get it because we already have EU passports? Will this somewhat complicate exit and entry procedures for duals since we presumably won’t need or have the visa? Just wondering……
I expect that EU citizens who are also US citizens won't be able to apply for an ETIAS authorization just as US citizens can't apply for an ESTA to come to the US.
Originally Posted by stimpy
As you said, we won't need it as EU citizens. When you arrive at the immigration check point in the EU you present your EU passport. No big deal.
I don't think this is correct. If you don't have authorization under ETIAS with your US passport or an EU passport in your reservation I'd expect that an airline will not let you on a plane to the EU. Some airlines may not enforce this via their automated systems, but some absolutely will (LH I'm looking at you!)

Originally Posted by QtownDave
As I understand it, for US citizens it will be just registering online instead of it being a new visa requirement. And I think it will be valid for 3 years.

Not doing so may only be an issue when leaving the US on a US passport if they are checking validity.
Just like ESTA is "just registering online." But you can bet that airlines will be checking validity. They dn't want to pay fined or send passengers back.