FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2022, 5:28 am
escape4

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Andaz Singapore = Good (but not Great) in Almost All Aspects

Introduction For my latest stay in Singapore I wanted to try something new and I had never stayed at Andaz Singapore before. If I am not mistaken this Andaz has very few suites so as a Globalist, any last minute booking probably does not have good odds of a suite upgrade but since my dates were fixed several weeks in advance, I thought it would be a good use of a Globalist suite upgrade. Overall I was quite happy with this Andaz, although it was “good” in most categories rather than “great”. Room As expected I received the Studio Suite which is the normal suite upgrade at this hotel. The quality of the hardware was very good except for a few minor issues for example the plug at the bottom of the bathtub was very hard to remove so we had to rely on housekeeping to empty the tub on occasion (or use a knife ourselves), and two of the dispenser bottles broke at one point. Thankfully the hotel also provided toiletries in a gift box set so we did not run out. The main weakness of the room has very little to do with the construction itself but rather the fact that upon entering the room we were straight into the bedroom so when ordering room service, staff had to walk through the bedroom to get to the living room at the far end, which was not an ideal design. I was also surprised that for such a modern hotel in an international city, they did not build international power plugs allowing to recharge electronics.Despite the small warts, nonetheless by being guaranteed a suite in a city like Singapore for the price I paid, it was solid value and Andaz would be hard to beat for long(ish) stays.Since we had a very late flight on the day of departure, I was interested in having check-out later than the normal 4pm but knowing that suites are in high demand I thought it would be unfair to ask to stay longer in that suite. I asked the hotel if we could leave the suite at noon to allow them to prepare it for another guest earlier than 4pm, and give us a regular room for several hours extra to allow very late check-out. Thankfully they accepted which was a nice gesture, and I got the opportunity to see a non-suite; I am not sure if the room they gave us was entry level or not. To be honest that room was quite nice as well and if I was to return without a suite, I would not suffer too much should the hotel have high occupancy. Dining For breakfast it was great that room service was an option (similar to some Park Hyatts) especially considering that weekends were quite crowded in the restaurant. Everything was entirely a la carte but for room service the choices were limited to three sets: western, asian, or vegetarian. It seems every morning they were not entirely consistent for example sometimes we would get two fruit plates or some small part of the order was missing, and one morning the order took over one hour. On a different day the assistant manager of the restaurant apologized, gave me his business card and recommended that I pre-order for the next morning when they also expected to be very busy and that he would ensure there would not be any mix-ups; this was a nice gesture. Wifi Wifi worked well with speed of 30 Mbps. Overall Based on my stay I can definitely recommend this hotel even though there were a few minor aspects that they could improve. I like to mix things up and I would not make Andaz my single go-to hotel in Singapore but I will definitely return.