FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Advice for a Layover in GVA
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2022, 1:18 am
KayVeeBee

Originally Posted by SharkyTheArchae
My return flight on July 6 was JTR-GVA-LHR-LAX. Layover in GVA was 8hrs. Layover in LHR was 8hrs. I had an opportunity to revise the route. It is now JTR-GVA-IAD-LAX. GVA now has a layover of roughly 17hrs (arriving 5:55pm, departing 11:30am next day). I am very happy with this new route. I lumped two short layovers and have a good overnight.

I am planning to stay at either HIX GVA or at a quaint hotel I found (Hotel Central - https://www.hotelcentral.ch/).

Both have pros and cons. HIX is at the airport. Shuttle is reportedly consistent.

Buuuttt, if I go with Hotel Central, it’s not really hard to go to the airport at all hours (and free). I have never seen Lake Geneva at night. (I did a day trip from Zurich three years ago.) Trains run fast and on time so getting to GVA at 9:30am won’t be stressful.

HIX includes breakfast, as expected with Express.

What other factors would you consider to make a decision? What would you do in the end?

The post is nothing alarming or frantic. Just consider it as a thought exercise. Thanks.
Well, the Holiday In Express GVA is walking distance from the airport, so easy to get to the airport as well. The shuttle is mostly for the benefit of a particular kind of people that have forgotten that you actually have legs that can take you places :-)
And as it is in Geneva you will get the free transport pass, and you have a choice of walking back to the airport to take the train in to town, or walking to the tram stop and taking the tram.

But in your case I would indeed stay in downtown Geneva, and have a good dinner there :-)