FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sticker shock for Summer Domestic UA fares
Old May 2, 2022, 8:52 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My flights to SYD in January 2022 were about $500 - $700 higher than I had paid in 2019 but thought it was worth the extra price to see my parents and knew only Australian citizens could catch the flights so demand was low. I was able to use 40 PlusPoints each way to upgrade to Polaris.

While there I purchased a ticket to SYD for July 2022, similar price but automatic upgrade with PlusPoints, although 80 PlusPoints each way.

Prices are way up and those higher prices are in lower category fare buckets. I know UA had a sale around April 5 to SYD but those fares went quickly. Was looking at them for my son.

My trip this month to Spain was a trip I kept deferring as walking the Camino. Booked last November and wanted to change and airfares went up and up, then there was a dip in early January so booked that with miles and copay for the Polaris upgrade and waiting for the upgrade with PlusPoints for the return. Not as concerned as day flight so bulkhead seat in coach is perfectly acceptable. But the fares on the route have gone way up since I booked.

I also have a quick jaunt to the Bahamas and was so-so about the fare but snared a B fare for the flight back and waiting for the PN space 🤞

My flight out I got a Chase CC mileage of 30,000 for first. Since then the first mileage has gone back to 6 figures. Dynamic award pricing at its finest.

Prices are up on UA. As someone else said look at it as helping you make 1K sooner. I made Platinum much earlier than in past years, and if I had not used the miles for the outbound NAS trip would make 1K before the end of summer. As it currently stands it will be October unless I book my late August and September trips on UA.