FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Service Director onboard upgrade
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:21 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by songsc
On another note, I am not sure if it’s indeed the policy that SD can be fired for “randomly” upgrading a passenger, or what’s considered as “random”, or if this policy has been around for long, as I have seen multiple instances of crew members, not just SD, quite openly upgraded passengers based on status, after the door closed. That was back in 2012-2015 BTW.
I never said "randomly". I don't know what the actual term in the CBA is - "unauthorized", "inappropriate", "out of policy", something else - but I'm highly confident, based on my AC source, that this provision exists.

Again, that doesn't mean SDs have no latitude to upgrade someone, but to the extent it exists, it's very limited.

Some SDs may still do it, because they're confident their reasons are justifiable, because they're not aware it's a fireable offence, or because they don't think there's any risk of it actually coming back to bite them (see my previous post re lack of supervision).

But the policy definitely exists.