FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:02 pm
wheremattgoes

Programs: BA Gold
I'm confused by this statement on the BA web site on the page about Tiers and Benefits:

"Regardless of the amount of Tier Points earned, all Members have been able to benefit from 2 years of automatic Tier status extensions. This includes all Members who have not been able to collect enough Tier Points within their current Tier Point Collection Year to maintain their current Tier status."

I have a club year that starts on 8 Nov, and I renewed Gold in March 2020, just before the big lockdown, which meant that I had status until the end of Dec 2021. I've only had a tier status extenstion of 1 year to the end of Dec 2022. So the statement that all members have benefited from 2 years of autormatic tier status extension is clearly wrong!!

Since I do most of my flying and tier point earning in the winter months from November to March, I also miss out on the benefit of reduced tier points for qualification, because that offer ends on 31 December 2022 - by which time my regular flying pattern won't have reached the reduced threshold of 1125 tier points - so I'll have to qualify by gaining 1500 tier points as normal in March 2023.

I don't think that BA has thought about this properly. The "great lockdown" was in March 2020, and the "great opening up" has been in March/April 2022 - when many countries relaxed restrictions, and people really started feeling safe to fly again - but BA has arbitrarily chosen the end of December 2022 for their "everything's back to normal" date - which is 2 years and 9 months after global travel ground to a halt. A more logical date would be the end of March 2023 - which is 3 years after that date. By choosing the end of December 2022, BA excludes customers who do most of their travel over the winter months from truly benfitting from the reduced tier point thresholds. I didn't travel much in Jan to March 2022, because it was still difficult due to restrictions, so the reduced thresholds didn't help me for renewal in this club year.

Sorry - this is just a rant about how these arbitrary policies aren't benefitting some Exec Club members as much as BA likes to make people think!