FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA new loyalty program - pls help with partner airline credit?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:21 pm
erdoran

thanks for the calculator. Yeah I read the pages but it's still confusing. According to the calculator, my loyalty points are ONLY 5x my spend on AA, regardless of how many miles my trip is, but on partners it's based ONLY on miles traveled, not on spend. So then to maximize my earn, seems like the ideal strategy for long trips is to fly as much as possible on an AA partner rather than AA.

And a nitpick question- if my flight is an AA flight #, but operated by another airline (e.g. AA8129 Operated by Qatar Airways) do I get credit for miles or for $, given that this is one leg of a two-leg trip, where leg 2 is a QR flight #? And how about this itinerary?

PHL - ORD AA 490 321-Airbus A321
ORD - DOH AA 8127 777-Boeing 777
Operated by Qatar Airways
DOH - SEZ QR 678 788-Boeing 787
Operated by Qatar Airways

If both are the same price, would the one routing through ORD give more points than a direct PHL-DOH_SEZ routing, where the PHL-DOH is "AA8129 operated by QR" and DOH-SEZ is QR678? Seems like they'd allocate the $$ for the PHL-ORD leg, then (hopefully) give me miles for ORD-DOH-SEZ? But does the AA flight # on ORD-DOH mean I get credit for $ but not miles?

Sorry to be a pain, just getting out for the first time since the pandemic began and trying to get the most for my $.