FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International Delta Same Day Paltinum Upgrades
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:21 am
DeltaFlyingProf

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by runningshoes
rssrsvp - I'm reading JSNYC's complaint completely as a different issue than domestic upgrades. On domestic, there is a wait list and people either clear or don't. On domestic, use of miles can be done before day of departure w/o regard to elite status, if seats are available. In his case, seats were not only available, no one even was asking for them! If an elite flyer wanted those seats, they would have asked before time of departure and either been assigned, or told nothing is open.

I agree with JSNYC - this is plain stupidity in action on DL's part.

BTW - I'm in Tokyo after a SQ C flight because there were no DL upgrades available for anywhere near the dates I needed to fly, and their C fares were significantly higher than SQ's, AND BizE doesn't come close to Raffles. As I mentioned on another post, I've not been on a DL plane since the middle of August - and it wasn't planned. DL policies on international fares/upgrades combined with the fare increases they pushed through domestically have driven me to *. I've already hit Plat with DL, so zero incentive for any more flights. I won't hit 1K with UA, but it will be real close. I may have to do a MR for the first time in my life!
I disagree with you and JSNYC and agree with rssrsvp that DL needs that it values loyalty! It is a gesture that makes Medaillon members feel good about sticking with DL. This has been one of the major problems with DL: not taking good care of its faithful base to the point they jump ship. As for the incentive for more flights after PM, the bonus option at 125k made me buy a K fare rather than L just to reach the 125k threshold. So there are incentives.