FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to stay for a 26-hour trip in Singapore?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:20 am
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Well, if you're looking for a conventional mall experience, Bugis Junction/Bugis+ works... There are also a few other popular spots nearby like Funan Mall ("recently" renovated) or Simlim Tower (electronics, more like a bazaar feel to it). Foodwise, there is a pasa malam across from Bugis Junction (although it operates during the day as well). There is also a hawker center there (Albert Centre) or sorta nearby (Golden Mile... very popular). It's been a few years since I've been there and with the pandemic, the lay of the hawker centers has likely changed, but here's a Youtube video which does a tour of Albert Centre (from last year). Further out, Chinatown (one of the biggest and oldest hawker centers)? Culturally, you've got a few temples in the area as well as "Kampong Glam". All have MRT stations (although the lines involved might not intersect (like Chinatown). It really depends on how much free time you'll have (before running to the airport).

Personally, I'd probably sleep (maybe not a whole night's worth, but enough to start the transition back to your home time zone), grab some food at Albert Centre/Golden Mile (or if air conditioning is important, the basement of Bugis Junction should do you)... then wander around a bit. Towards the evening, shift over to Changi and explore the Jewel before shifting over to your proper terminal and do the lounges. That's assuming you are spending the night at the airport.
Oh, sorry, I meant which hotels do you recommend or have stayed in the Bugis area. I will most likely email many of them to ask about a day rate.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Since we're talking about bugis, i miss this roasted pork place(siu yuk). Tender and skin still crispy
New Rong Liang Ge+65 9099 9489

https://maps.app.goo.gl/drATTFCWfecQQH9X8

there's also Mustafa hypermarket somewhat nearby in little India (and donki Japanese supermarket near it too)
https://biancakarina.com/2019/04/22/...-little-india/

DON DON DONKI City Square Mall+65 6634 1711. https://maps.app.goo.gl/JmarioXSLu2FZhNSA

If you are keen on just overnighting in changi, then find a day room rate somewhere (staycation/day room for workspace is quite common during COVID and should be guaranteed.

not sure how good/bad the lounge situation is (and you might not be able to access lounges/airside overnight if you're flying out on United - changi early check-in listing doesn't show united, and UA still doesn't offer mobile boarding pass afaik at changi
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30364973-post10.html
Did something change since the start of the pandemic? I forgot if it was 2018 or 2019, but I took an early morning CX flight from SIN-HKG (~6 AM). Rather than pay for a night at the hotel, I checked out at about 4 PM, left my luggage at the hotel, went out and walked a bit, went back to the hotel at around 9 PM to pick up my suitcase, arrived at Changi a bit before midnight and was able to check my suitcase in. Then I spent most of the early morning at the Plaza Premium lounge, which was open 24/7. If what you say is true about United and early check-in, what do I do with my suitcase until check-in opens at around 7 AM?

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
It depends on what you're shopping for. It's cool that it's open 24h (at least it was the last time I was there), but I'm not a big fan of their security measure (this may have changed as well) where you have to leave your bag(s) at the door (I understand it, I just don't agree with it due to the "processing")

Actually, here's a thought...

There is a landside hotel at the Jewel (https://www.jewelchangiairport.com/en/stay-yotel.html). I'd call them to see if they offer a day rate (and early check-in).... if they do, you stay there, get some sleep... when you wake up, you can have your run of the island... then when you get back, you sleep and you don't have to be up all night (well, assuming your plans can accommodate that) and you can get up a little later. Since you're at the airport and you have the room, you get a bit more rest. You can still go to Bugis if you'd like or pretty much anywhere on the island and food-wise, if you don't like the food at Jewel, there is a food court on B2 of T3 which is quite popular (when I was there, lots of local cuisine... now it only shows as kopitiam).

Not sure if the pricing would be viable, but it's worth a look.
That's a good idea! I've never been to the Jewel before. Is it open 24/7? What about the food court on B2 of T3? A few years ago, I did remember not everything was opened in the middle of the night.

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Yes, Pan Pacific is a chain. It’s just a smaller Asian focused one. As I recall, they had great amenities built into their regular price and it’s attached directly to the Marina Square mall. It’s in the location I prefer. I’ve stayed right on Orchard Road, at the former Hilton, and it was okay.
Thanks!